Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Remington M887 Nitro Mag

It's time for my first review of a shotgun. As you may know from my last post, Remington is no longer producing this product, and for me, it's quite a shame. But it can still be found in some stores and on the used gun market. This is the 887 Nitro Magnum pump-action shotgun.


Remington is known for creating possibly the most iconic and mass produced shotgun in the world, the 870, so when they added another pump shotgun to their lineup, reviews were mixed. When originally introduced, people thought the 887 was produced to eventually replace the 870...which was never was the true purpose. The 887 is almost entirely different than the 870. It was geared more towards waterfowl and to be that gun that can withstand the tough conditions of the average hunter. One of the gun's most interesting feature was the "ArmorLokt" coating on the barrel and receiver which protected all metal exterior surfaces from rust. It also has several other improvements that I like. It has fiber optic sights, an oversized pump release that can be activated with numb fingers, a SuperCell recoil pad, and the ability to shoot up to 3.5 inch shells. The 887 is also lighter than your standard 870, which makes for easy target acquisition.

The 887 isn't without it's flaws. Since the gun has a rotating 3-lug lockup, it can occasionally get stuck and require quite a bit of force to open - however this is a relatively rare occurrence. I've also found that field stripping this weapon is extremely easy. Reassembling it is a different story. I feel like if I had two additional hands, maybe I could put the action and pump back together in under 5 minutes, but since I don't have two additional hands, reassembly takes a while. But overall, I've really enjoyed my time with this gun. I've shot many other shotguns, but this one is still my favorite. Despite being criticized and discontinued, I'll continue to sing it's praises for as long as I own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment