Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Remington 11-87 Sportsman

When you hear people call a firearm a "workhorse" gun, what does that mean to you? For me, the term "workhorse" means something that can perform reliably, regardless of the task at hand. A "workhorse" gun usually isn't pretty - it's a tool, not a work of art.


So if you want a reliable semi-automatic shotgun that can be used for hunting and and occasional game of sporting clays, many people recommended the Remington 11-87. While the famous Remington 1100 is the signature semi-auto of the company, the 11-87 is the no-nonsense brother that delivers the same exceptional performance, but at a lower cost due to the lack of extra finish on the firearm. Let's be honest, you wouldn't want to take your shiny 1100 out shooting in the mud would you? The 11-87 even has the ability to fire up to 3" shells - and there's even a SuperMag model that will chamber 3.5" shells! That's a lot of power from a semi-auto shotgun.

I was fortunate enough to receive this shotgun as a gift last Christmas, and I just got around to putting a few hundred rounds through it. Why did I wait so long to do this? Well, the answer is a little complicated. First, before I put one round through it, I noticed a few abnormalities out-of-the-box. First, the collar (the ring under the barrel that connects to the tube magazine) was deformed, making break-down almost impossible without tools. Second, the hammer spring seemed to be broken. This was really upsetting to me since the gun was BRAND NEW. I took it back to the dealer and they sent it to Remington for me. Several weeks pass and I get my 11-87 back. After a 50-round break-in period, it's functioning as it should. I don't know what could have caused all of these issues, but my best guess would be that something happened to it in the retail store where I bought it - mishandled, dropped, run over, etc. Either way, I'm glad that the issues seem to have been resolved.

When I was able to finally take it out and shoot it, it was love at first trigger-pull. The 11-87 pointed naturally and went *BANG* every time. It's not the lightest shotgun out there, but the extra weight makes it very comfortable to shoot. Those extra pounds would also be helpful when shooting the heavier, duck loads. The trigger is excellent considering how inexpensive the gun is to begin with. I can't say that I love the Remington semi-auto loading port, but it doesn't take long to get used to and soon you'll be loading it just as quickly as any other shotgun.

Overall the Remington 11-87 is an excellent "workhorse" shotgun. Reliable, inexpensive, and durable. Just like with any semi-auto shotgun, be sure to clean it regularly to ensure consistent performance. If done right, you can expect to get a lifetime of good use out of this firearm.

No comments:

Post a Comment