Thursday, July 30, 2015

Quick Gun Reviews Vol. 1

I'm attempting something new with this post. I'm going to go down a short list of four or five guns that I have experience with and will just give a brief summary of my thoughts.

It's all about pistols this week! Here we go:

  • Beretta 96A1 - I like the gun as a whole. The heavier weight offsets the snappy 40 caliber round. Made by Beretta so you know that the fit and finish are of very high quality. Not completely sure if the grip was any larger to accommodate the larger round, but it would be something to look at if I were thinking about purchasing it. Great alternative to the 92fs if you want something a little more potent but want to keep that legendary design.
  • H&K 45c - Great ergonomics and shooting feel. This weapon takes a 45 ACP and makes it feel like a heavy 9mm. Great accuracy and comes with night sights. The downside is the price. With tax included, you'll be paying over $1,000 for a new one (ballpark $1,200) and sadly, you just don't get enough for your money. The gun is polymer, which is perfectly fine, but it feels especially cheap and clunky. I noticed that when pulling back the hammer felt like handling a toy. I'm unable to put my finger on what it is that makes it feel this way, but when a friend let me look at his, the question that kept going through my head was: "You paid how much for this?" Overall, its a great pistol that can be easily replaced by another that's $500 cheaper. 
  • Glock 22 Gen 2 - Anyone reading my posts will know that I'm not a GLOCK fan, but I try to be as non-biased as possible when doing gun reviews. For a while, my family owned a Gen 2 Glock 22 so my comments will be on that particular pistol. No such thing as ergonomics with this pistol. It felt like crap in the hand and the .40 S&W round made it feel even worse when shooting. Unlike all the "Glockoholics" out there, I actually thought the trigger was pretty good. Being a Gen 2, there weren't too many features. No rail, night sights, grip modifications, aesthetics, etc. I often take this pistol and think, "how did this catch on?" But then I remember, that it works and it's cheap. Police approved! 
  • Taurus Judge - How can you not like the concept? A revolver that can shoot .45 Colt AND .410 shotshells - count me in! I am not a revolver marksman, so my accuracy with the piece wasn't great when shooting the .45 Colt, but you don't need to be Bob Munden when shooting the .410. It was a blast. Overall, the gun felt very solid and good in the hand. The guy that let me shoot his had owned it for quite some time and didn't have any major complaints. He said that he might look to get some better sights installed, but overall he is very happy with his purchase. Size is a factor. The piece is rather large and would be difficult to use for a concealed-carry piece. 
  • Glock 30s Gen 4 - A close friend of mine picked up one of these and I finally got a chance to shoot it. I think the 4th generation Glock feels much better than the previous ones, there are still a couple things I would change, but overall it's a solid design. The .45 ACP was very snappy in the compact frame (as to be expected with any concealable piece). This wouldn't bother me if the baseplate pinky extension on the magazine didn't keep pinching me with every shot. Other than that, accuracy was good and it ran without any hiccup. Definitely worth considering if you are looking for a concealable piece that will leave a big hole in it's target.
That's all I've got for now! I'd like to do many more of these quickie reviews once I get some range time with other weapons. In the future I'll add some variety to the type of weapons - recently I've had a lot of exposure with pistols. If you have a gun that you would like some more information on, please leave me a comment and I'll be happy to tell you what I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment