Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Sig Sauer P238

I wish .380 ACP ammo was less expensive. The only thing I wanted to do after shooting a box through the P238 was to open up another and keep firing. This accurate little gun has got to be one of the most comfortable subcompact pistols I've ever shot. The single-action trigger is crisp and relatively light. I didn't have the extended 7-round magazine (with pinky extension) but the pistol was still very easy to control. After about 20 rounds, I even forgot that my little finger was hanging off the bottom of the gun. Just like with any new firearm, there was a suggested break-in period of a few magazines, but even during the break-in, it functioned perfectly and had no issues. The reviews on the P238 are stellar, but one cannot truly appreciate how comfortable it is until you shoot it for yourself.


Some people might be asking, 
    
 "Hey - why didn't you get the P938 and have the extra power of a 9mm and you could keep the sub-     compact size."

Well, I could've done that. But after reading hundreds of reviews and EVERYONE raving about how comfortable the .380 was, I just couldn't turn it down. It seems that this gun was built around the .380 ACP cartridge, just like the 1911 was built around the .45 ACP, so getting this Sig in 9mm would just be...wrong. Although I would enjoy the 9mm ammo pricing. Another added bonus of the .380 is the very light recoil spring. The slide operation is so light that anyone could rack it with ease.

Also, anyone saying that the .380 is not a good self-defense round can go jump off a cliff. Modern self-defense ammo in .380 has come a long way since it's introduction, especially in the last few years. Just a simple Google search for .380 ballistics testing will show that it can easily stop a threat when called upon. Now, is it as good as a .45 ACP for self-defense? Of course not, but the .380 allows me to be comfortable and confident when shooting, and that is more important to me than single-bullet stopping power. Especially since I'll be doing way more range shooting than protective shooting.

Back to the P238. It's got spectacular sights for a gun so small. Usually a tiny pocket pistol like this has microscopic sights, but not the Sig. The P238 has 3-dot tritium night sights which are extremely visible in low-light situations. The Nitron grips that came on my model gun are good but I'll probably be replacing them with a textured rosewood before too long. It does have a manual safety (like most 1911s) that can lock the slide, if it's not already been cocked, and disconnects the trigger. 

I'm going to have a hard time finding something that I dislike about the Sig. Like with any of my personal guns, I'll edit this post if any issues arise, but I'm sure I'll have many good years of service with the P238. It's certainly a welcome addition to my firearm family.

No comments:

Post a Comment