Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Firearm Education (Pet Peeves)

I've wanted to rant about this for a long time. I am a member of multiple gun trading and selling groups on Facebook, I read firearm related forums and I've extensively read news articles that are all centered around guns (for better or worse). So after years of looking at these, here are my greatest pet peeves in the gun community:
  • The most common communication error amongst gun owners. The box with the ammunition inside is called a MAGAZINE, NOT a CLIP. No it doesn't sound 'cool' to say the wrong thing. Magazines are the modern tool used to load ammunition into the action of the weapon. They usually feed from the bottom of the gun and use a spring to push the round in to the receiver when the action is worked. Clips serve the same purpose. However, very few, if any, modern firearms use clips to feed ammunition. A clip is a thin piece of metal that attach to the base of the cartridges and hold them together in a row. This fully loaded clip is then pressed into the built-in (and non-removable) magazines of older guns, such as the M1 Garand and will feed the rounds when the action is cycled. 
  • This is more of a personal point, but to me, there is no such thing as an "AR pistol." Look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about. I know that the definition of a 'pistol' varies, but for me, a pistol is a weapon that is designed to comfortably be shot with one hand, uses pistol calibers, and can be concealed easily for easy mobility. A weapon that is only called a 'pistol' because it has a short barrel and has a chopped off shoulder stock REALLY drives me up the wall. I've even had someone say to me that they have a .308 'pistol'. No - you camo wearing neck-beard - you don't. You've only cut off the ends of your AR and made it harder to use. Yes, you have mobility, but would you cut off a shotgun to pistol-length and call it a 'pistol'? I think not.
  • There are such things as good, inexpensive guns. Don't feel like you need to spend over $500 to buy a quality firearm. As a proud owner of several sub-$450 weapons, I support the bargain priced firearms. My first gun was a Remington 887 pump shotgun. It cost around $300-$350. I can't begin to tell you of all the negative reviews this gun received. All of the bad reviews were from people who never shot the gun and are only judging it by price or, if they have shot it, it didn't feel as nice as their $2,500 Benelli. I wouldn't trade my Remington for the world. It shoots straight, the action is crisp, and it hasn't ever given me any problems. If someone were to try to bash this gun in front of me, I will happily challenge them to a clay-shooting competition. I will win. This is not the only example of a quality firearm with a low price sticker. Not long ago I saw a Bersa Thunder .380 Compact on a shelf for mid-$200's. This might be the best example of a semi-auto handgun bargain. I know for a fact that this pistol has a great reputation for reliability and performance. 
  • If you are wanting to sell your firearm on a website, don't ask what you've paid for it. Guns hold their value very well, but not that well. Regardless if you've shot less than 50 rounds through it. Your gun, like a car, will depreciate in value once used (unless you own a collector's piece). I can't tell you how many people attempt to sell their used Glock for the EXACT price that they paid for it new. The only reason that anyone would buy that gun from you is if they are a felon and can't buy it legally from a store.
  • This is a topic for another article. Open carry. In the United States, I believe that a law abiding citizen should be able to open carry for their own protection. That being said, when activists open carry AK-47s and expect police to believe you when you say that you are "just out for a stroll," you are just seeking attention. There is absolutely no need to carry your M16 to go grocery shopping. Yes, if North Korea decides to attack us, you will be prepared, but other than that, you just look like a punk. If I was concealed carrying my pistol and some guy came in my local Winn-Dixie wielding an AK-47, I would probably be thinking about what action I should take in case this guy decides to make a move. I don't know your intention, and neither do police. 
Before I make too many eyes roll, I'll leave it at that. I promise the next post will be about an actual firearm instead of gun culture.

Leave me a comment about what bothers you about gun community.

No comments:

Post a Comment